Dean of Medical Faculty №1 is Kompaniets Volodymyr Mykhailovych, Candidate of Science (Medicine), Associate Professor of the Department of Hospital Pediatry.
Departments of Medical Faculty № 1:
1. Department of Human Anatomy, Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy
2. Department of General Hygiene and Ecology
3. Department of Health Protection, Social Medicine and Medical Labour Examination.
4. Department of Pathologic Physiology
5. Department of Pharmacology and Medical Formulation
6. Department of Propedeutics of Internal Diseases with the Course of Patients’ Care
7. Department of Internal Diseases No. 1
8. Department of Internal Diseases No. 2
9. Department of Internal Diseases No. 3
10. Department of Phthisiology and Pulmonology
11. Department of General Surgery and Patients’ Care
12. Department of Oncology and Surgical Oncology
13. Department of Hospital Surgery
14. Department of Urology, Radiologic Diagnostics and Therapy
15. Department of Traumatology and Orthopedics
16. Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology
17. Department of Hospital Pediatry and Children Infectious Diseases
18. Department of Nervous Diseases
19. Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy, General and Medical Psychology Narcology and Sexology
20. Department of Dermatovenerology and Cosmetology with the Course of Aesthetic Medicine of Post-graduate Education Faculty
21. Department of Ophthalmology
22. Department of Medical Catastrophes, Military Medicine, Anaesthesiology and Resuscitation Science
History of the faculty
According to the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR dated 23.10.1964 №1081, the Medical Faculty was opened on the basis of the Order of the Ministry of Health of the USSR dated October 27, 1964, on the basis of the Zaporizhzhya Pharmaceutical Institute. Six medical universities of Ukraine, Kharkiv, Simferopol, Chernivtsi, Ivano-Frankivsk, Ternopil, and Luhansk medical institutes were admitting students to study in Zaporozhye. The first semester students studied in these institutes, and in the second semester – at the medical faculty of the Zaporozhye Pharmaceutical Institute. In the 1965-1966 academic year in the Zaporizhzhya Pharmaceutical Institute, they conducted the first set for the first year (220 students) and formed the third course from the students of other universities, who expressed a desire to continue their studies at the medical faculty.
By 1968, at the Faculty of Medicine, 22 departments were organized, in which 130 teachers were working, of which 12 professors and doctors of sciences, 82 associate professors and candidates of sciences.
On January 29, 1968, the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the USSR No. 61 on the renaming of the Zaporizhzhya Pharmaceutical Institute in the Zaporozhye Medical Institute was issued, and in 1969 the first issue of doctors took place.
The first dean of the medical faculty from 1965 to 1967 was associate professor SK Gordianko After him, deans worked as associate professor D.F. Ivanov (1967-1968), associate professor A.A. Shulga (1968-1972), Professor G.E. Lutsenko (1972-1974). For over 20 years, the head of the faculty was assistant professor R.S. Lysenko.
In 1996, the Dean’s Office of the Faculty of Medicine was organized. Dean appointed associate professor S.P. Kovalev (1997-2001). Since 2001, the Dean’s Office of the Faculty of Medicine is headed by Associate Professor V.M. Companion.
Since 2010, the 1st and 2nd medical faculties have been established on the basis of the medical faculty.
The teaching staff of the faculty
279 teachers work at the departments of the faculty, among them: Academician of the NAMS of Ukraine, Corresponding Member. National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 5 Honored Scientists and Technicians of Ukraine, Honored Worker of Higher School, three laureates of the State Prize of Ukraine, five laureates of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, prize winner of the President of Ukraine, winner of the Cabinet of Ministers Award, three honored doctors of Ukraine, 48 professors, 187 candidates of sciences.
Students of the faculty
About 2600 students study at the faculty. Among them: 5 nominee scholars, more than 10% – excellent students. One in five conducts research work in the student’s scientific community. They present their reports at the final scientific conferences of the University, in other universities and at international scientific conferences in other countries. Over 30 students were awarded diplomas I, II and III degrees.
All conditions for students leisure are created at the faculty. At the sports club of the university, there are sections for practicing all kinds of sports.
About 200 students of the faculty are active participants of the artistic ambitions of the ZSMU. The faculty created 3 teams of KVN, 2 teams of amateur performances.
The faculty has 3 dormitories. They have created all the conditions for preparing for classes and the rest of students. Internet network, library, reading room function. Equipped with a cooking and personal hygiene room.
Students’ self-government, the trade union organization of students, student councils of dormitories are successfully operating at the faculty.
The powerful staffing potential of the faculty, modern information and logistical support of the educational process, scientific and clinical activity allow to achieve a high level of preparation of students, masters, postgraduates and doctoral students, to introduce innovative pedagogical and therapeutic technologies.