The history of Zaporozhye State Medical University comes back to the Women Pedagogic Courses organized in Odessa in 1903.
In 1921 the Courses were reorganized into the Chemical-Pharmaceutical Institute.
In 1935 it was reformed in the State Pharmaceutical Institute. In 1941 the life of the Institute was interrupted by the Great Patriotic war till 1944.
In 1959 the Pharmaceutical Institute was transferred from Odessa to Zaporozhye and renamed in Zaporozhye Pharmaceutical Institute.
In 1964 the Medical Faculty was opened and in 1968 Zaporozhye Pharmaceutical Institute was renamed into Zaporozhye Medical Institute.
In 1975 Zaporozhye Medical Institute got a status of the Institute of the first category.
In 1994 the Institute was reorganized into Zaporozhye State Medical University of the IV (the top) level of accreditation.
Now it is of one of the leading Medical Universities in the system of medical education of Ukraine. It has become a training center for medical and pharmaceutical specialists for Ukraine and for foreign countries.